In this episode of The Negotiation podcast, we are joined by Xiang Chen. He is the VP of Strategy and Insights at WPIC Marketing + Technologies, a company that provides market data solutions for brands looking to enter the Chinese market. Xiang is a bilingual individual with deep knowledge of Eastern and Western cultures. With a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, he began his career as a Project Planner at a leading Canadian telecom company, overseeing major network upgrades. Xiang later joined a Beijing-based tech startup as a Product Director, where he successfully established the IT team and managed diverse projects for esteemed clients worldwide.
In our conversation with Xiang we gain valuable insights into the impact of his role at WPIC, as well as WPIC’s incredible Discripto tool which provides valuable information about the Chinese market, and the importance of data-informed decisions in running a successful consumer business in China. We touch on the challenges of expanding into the Chinese market and the need for a tailored approach to branding and marketing in China and the value of having reliable data to navigate the challenges of expanding into the market. We conclude by talking about the upcoming 6.18 festival, a major shopping event in China that takes place on June 18th each year. We discuss the festival’s significance for both brands and consumers and how it has emerged as a key opportunity for companies to boost sales and gain exposure in the Chinese market. Enjoy!
Topics Discussed and Key Points:
● The features and benefits of Discripto’s data analysis system
● The need for tuning in Discripto’s data analysis system in response to changing digital landscape
● Rise of Douyin (TikTok) and how it has impacted businesses
● WPIC services for brands entering or expanding into the Chinese market
● A shift towards data-informed decision-making, as brands realize the significance of data in gaining a competitive advantage
● The sophistication of both consumers and competitors in the world
● Contrasting E-commerce platforms in Western Countries and Southeast Asia
● The challenges of entering the Chinese market
● Strategic brand positioning and targeted messaging in the Chinese probiotics market
● Emerging trends in the Chinese consumer market and why cats are becoming increasingly popular in China
Let's take the first step.